27 March 2012

Perspectives. ITV Documentary..

Being home from Uni for easter means a serious catch up on all those hours of missed television.  As I was laying on the sofa yesterday, on came an ad for a program later that night, 'Perspectives'.


DAVID SUCHET: PEOPLE I HAVE SHOT:
''..
actor David Suchet, a keen amateur photographer, follows in the footsteps of his grandfather, Fleet Street photographer Jimmy Jarche.'' The rest of the press release can be seen on the ITV website here.

This hour long episode recorded David Suchet as he followed in his grandfathers footsteps.
James (Jimmy) Jarche, a renounced fleet street photographer, was born in 1890 and created some very famous and well known pieces of work throughout his career.

David and John Suchet surrounded with
photography at such an early age.
David as a child with his grandfather. 




Over the course of the documentary it showed Suchet travelling around the country, revisiting some exact locations that Jarche captured all those years ago.
What was amazing to see is that David Suchet re-photographed very similar shots by using one of his grandfathers old Lecia Cameras, something he handed down to him around 50 years ago before he passed away.
Suchet said “Jimmy was able to get along with anyone - it was a quality that stood him in good stead as a photographer. I find that many of his portraits really look beneath the skin to capture the sitter’s character. I’d like to try my hand at doing what he did.”

This quote really stood out for me and made me think about my representation project and how I need to ensure that I capture that element of personality and individuality of my own subjects.  He looked at people in their everyday situations, through hobbies or occupations.

Screenshot taken from the documentary 

Screenshot taken from the documentary #2
''Jimmy’s old Leica is really momentous for me. I can hear him on my shoulder – ‘In there boy, keep it steady. Keep it sharp. Get the shot’.”
Jimmy often photographed behind the scenes in showbiz, including musical and dance productions.  This is a screenshot of Jimmy's photograph taken many years ago in the female dressing rooms.  David, who wanted to produce something similar went to the Westend where he also captured what does on backstage at the theatre.
This (on the left) is Suchet's replication of his grandfathers work, showing the cast of Wicked the Musical.






When reading the interview on the itv website a paragraph which really stood out for me was this quote of Suchet's:
''He used to say to me when you look through the camera 'it's not what you see, it's the way that you see it.'  The greatest part of your whole equipment has nothing to do with your camera - it's to do with your own eyes.  That advice was ringing in my ears from beginning to end.''
Being a practising photographer myself I also strongly believe this is, I feel in order to create an 'aesthetically' pleasing image you need to have a creative concept behind it in which you have imaginatively set up though the use of your eyes.
My father, another keen photographer, has often said to me when capturing a similar shot..'how does yours look so different to mine?'..'you see things in such a different light to how I do.'  This intrigues me and makes me wonder how peoples visions can vary so much??

No comments:

Post a Comment